Our department of Physiology started its activities in 1953 having Prof. Paul Eugene Jean Laget, a French neurophysiologist, as director. Prof. Renato Hélios Migliorini became our first faculty in 1953, coming from the Metabolic Unit of the Clinics Hospital in São Paulo. Prof. Laget returned to France the following year and was temporarily substituted by Prof. José Venâncio Pereira Leite. In 1955 Prof. Miguel Rolando Covian, an Argentinian working at the time in the laboratory of Bernardo Houssay (1947 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine) became a new faculty member and the Chairman. Covian was directly invited to Ribeirão Preto by the Dean Zeferino Vaz and accepted to come for a "short stay". Nevertheless, he got so enthusiastic with the ideas leading the process of building our School and with the other faculties already in the department (Renato Hélios Miglioirini, César Timo-Iaria and José Venâncio Pereira Leite amongst others), that he decided to definitely stay in Ribeirão Preto. Covian´s humanistic background and physiology expertise, the innovative ideas behind the process of making our medical school, particularly the requirement of exclusive dedication to teaching and research for the faculty members, were decisive in establishing a strong school of physiology in Brazil. Our graduating program in Physiology was created in 1971 and since then has greatly contributed to the formation of several generations of Brazilian physiologists.